Being an online student for me, has definitely proven itself to be somewhat of an adjustment, although not as big of a one as I initially thought it would be. Taking classes online was pretty much my initial decision, only because of the fact that I have five little ones at home that I take care. My three oldest kids go to school, but only two of them get out at 3 pm. My middle child gets out at 11 am since he's only in Pre-K. So my twins are the only ones that are still at home, seeing as how they're only 2 years old! But I'm loving being able to be there every second of the day with them. And not to mention that if I had attended a regular college, I would've had the added stress of needing a baby-sitter every time I needed to go to class, the computer lab, library, advisor consults, etc. So my first choice when I finally decided to go back to school was to take online classes.
After the first week went by, and I knew what it was going to be like and what to expect, things flowed a lot more smoothly. The convenience of being able to attend my classes whenever I chose to, and being able to attend how I wanted, was what I loved most about an online college. The only drawback that I do see about it, is when some of the classes are harder than others, we still only have class once a week. That's where I wish that online classes were more like traditional college classes, in that you meet 2 or 3 times a week. That way if there is anything confusing or if any questions come up, you can prepare them for the next class session before everything needs to be turned in. That and you can't pop in personally with your advisers to discuss something or other. But oh well! I guess there's always going to be a give-and-take in every situation that you're in, regardless of what it is. Just go with the flow, I guess!
Yolanda,
ReplyDeleteI totally see where you comming from however I don't have any children of my own. My roommate also attends Kaplan and she has 3 children herself. Although her children are a bit older then yours. She has a 17 year old and twin 10 year old girls. I enjoy being able to attend class at home in my pj's. A few years back I was attending a technical college and had classes everyday I did have to go in, but I only lived 2 minutes awyay. I perfer doing this at home and not having to carry all my stuff with me. Good Luck with your studies. I wish you the best.
Sara
Thanks Sara! It is really nice to not have to worry what you look like or if your clothes match, hahaha. Don't get me wrong, I love taking online classes and the convenience of doing so. I just wish they would schedule more classtime. Especially when you have so many questions that come up. When that happens, sometimes it's hard waiting for your professor to answer your e-mail or wait for their "office" hours via AIM.
ReplyDelete