Monday, March 8, 2010

Dieting Research

Well, I've FINALLY cracked open one of the books I checked out from the library and started reading it. In just the 3 chapters I've read so far, I am astounded at just how far off the track anyone who diets really is. The book I started with is titled "Diet Myths That Keep Us Fat..." just to get the myth part of my paper started. And just the information that I've taken from it so far, is enough to drive anyone crazy! It is definitely becoming an eye-opener, if nothing else. I myself, have struggled with losing weight, even if it's only what I fondly call my "baby pouch." Now I'm not a diet fanatic to say the least, but I have tried 2 or 3 of these fad diets before. And no, I did not see results. I just think it's amazing that this is a billion dollar industry, and growing. I can easily see how it would be. It's almost enough to be discouraging. I'm not one with strong willpower, but I do have a goal to set myself for. I figure, as long as I can get back to my pre-baby weight, I'll be doing pretty good. At least I'll have a ton of pants that I'll be able to fit into again! They're just in the storage collecting dust, and I can, in no way, bring myself to throw them out or give them away. I'll get there....eventually. I just have to push myself harder not to give up (so easily). I've always been the type of person that can't do things on their own. I think that's one fault of mine that's holding me back. When I'm doing something with someone, it's easier for me to keep my eyes on the goal. When I'm stuck doing something on my own, it's harder for me to stick with it. I need to break myself from that detrimental mind-set and push myself out of my own box. Maybe this research will do me a world of good, and give me something that I can actually, and beneficially, use. I was just wondering, if any of you have dieted successfully, what techniques did you use? What were some of the roadblocks that you had to overcome yourselves? Any tips or hints would be great!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Yolanda! I have more than a little baby pooch hehehe but I also have a lot of my clothes stashed away for that glorious day when I finally make it! I successfully lost 40 pounds in one month with the herbalife diet but had to quit because I was pregnant again and my doctor said no! :) It was too expensive anyways. I have seen a lot of progress from changing to a mostly vegan lifestyle with minimal processed foods. It is perfect because I can eat what I like and don't have to starve myself but it is a very slow weight loss process! The perks are numerous though....it is cheaper, it isn't an actual diet it is a lifestyle change akin to quitting smoking or cutting back on alcohol! Meat and dairy products are expensive so cutting them out and replacing them with simple tricks in recipes is more affordable for a large family plus it helps curb mental health issues like ADD and such by cutting out the neurotoxins we would normally be getting in regular everyday foods. You would be surprised how much better you feel by feeding yourself well and walking everyday for 30-60 mins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Katie!
    Yeah, I've heard a little bit about Herbalife. I've even had some ladies give me their cards that sell it. But the prices are a little steep for anyone to follow religiously. I figure that diet would be best for a single person, or maybe even a couple. Anyone with kids would have a hard time sticking to that with all the other costs of living.
    I went so much as to buy myself a treadmill so that I could walk here at home without worrying about what to do with my twins. I'm just having a hard time sticking to a schedule. I've planned one out already, I just can't seem to stick to it! As soon as I drop my 3 oldest kids off at school, I come back home and go right back to bed. I had planned to walk in the mornings after dropping them off, while the twins would still be asleep, but so far....zilch! Oh well, I really do need to do something, though. I won't be able to afford a whole new wardrobe, especially knowing I have a perfectly good one packed up in storage! But thanks for the tips! I'll have to check into them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not been able to lose any weight but I have maintained my weight by7 eating several small meals and not three big meals. As I have gotten older my metabolism has slowed down. When I was younger I could eat a lot more and not gain weight.
    Keeping fruit and nuts at work and in the house has helped also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard that, too, Professor, that eating several small meals a day was the healthiest way to lose weight and keep it off. Just so long as you're eating the right stuff, of course. I am the type of person that needs to be reminded daily, though. I had planned to try that once, but it fell through the cracks in a matter of days, if not hours! I miss the carefree-ness of my youth! Eat everything in the world and still wear the same size clothes the next day! No wonder mom had a hard time keeping up with me!

    ReplyDelete